There’s an undeniable charm in starting your day with a rich, flavorful cup of coffee, and the luxury of brewing it right in your kitchen with a small drip coffee maker can make this experience even more delightful.
As an experienced coffee connoisseur, I’ve committed myself to explore the world of compact brewing machines, understanding that the perfect brew doesn’t always require a large, complicated machine.
My top recommendation, the Krups Simply Brew Stainless Steel Single Serve Drip Coffee Maker, brings the convenience of size, the promise of sustainability with its permanent filter, and the practicality of an accompanying travel tumbler. This collection of exceptional small drip coffee makers, each offering unique features, caters to various preferences and brewing rituals.
So, if space-saving functionality and flavorful brewing sound like your cup of coffee, coffee lovers, let’s find the ideal small drip coffee maker for you.
A Quick Preview of Our Top Picks
Downsizing to a small drip coffee maker doesn’t have to mean reducing quality. Here are some of the best compact drip coffee machines for a delicious brew.
Krups Simply Brew Stainless Steel Single Serve
Capresso 5-Cup Mini Drip Coffee Maker
Cuisinart 4-Cup w/Stainless-Steel Carafe
BEST VALUE FOR MONEY
Mixpresso 5-Cup Drip Coffee Maker
BELLA One Scoop One Cup Coffee Maker
Gevi 4-Cup Coffee Maker with Auto-Shut Off
BLACK+DECKER 5-Cup Coffee Maker
Mr. Coffee 5-Cup Mini Brew Switch Coffee Maker
The 8 Best Small Drip Coffee Makers
Here are the details of each of these 8 types of small coffee makers, beginning with our favorite pick:
The Krups Simply Brew Stainless Steel Single Serve is a marvel of compact coffee makers. Its modest dimensions of 5.31″D x 5.91″W x 12.32″H ensure it easily fits into any kitchen. The coffee was consistently hot, aromatic, and satisfyingly intense.
The permanent filter, a key feature of this machine, offers environmental and practical benefits. It’s easy to clean and eliminates the need for disposable filters. However, do note that excellent coffee grounds might pass through it. Also, during my testing, I experienced minor issues with the water filling opening, which could be more user-friendly, and slight dripping after turning off the machine.
Compared to other models, this single-serve coffee maker stands out for its included stainless-steel travel tumbler, a boon for on-the-go coffee drinkers. It’s perfect for those who prefer freshly brewed coffee over pre-packaged options.
This is an excellent pick for individual coffee enthusiasts and households of one or two.
Next on our list is the Capresso 5-Cup Mini Drip Coffee Maker. With its sleek design and handy features, this small coffee maker makes brewing coffee at home a breeze.
This electric coffee maker has a GoldTone filter that eliminates the need for paper filters, making it a more sustainable choice. During testing, the programmable timer became my favorite feature. Setting it up the night before to wake up to a fresh brew was blissful.
While it has a capacity of only 5 cups, this is perfect for a couple or a small family. It may not be suitable for larger gatherings, though. The lid and carafe design could be improved, and the buttons and controls might take a while to master.
Compared to the Krups model, this machine lacks a travel mug but offers programmability. It’s the right choice for those who prefer convenience and love waking up to the smell of brewing coffee.
Cuisinart has always been synonymous with quality kitchen appliances, and their 4-Cup Coffeemaker is no exception. Its stainless-steel carafe, which features a dripless pour spout and knuckle guard, sets it apart.
The Brew Pause feature is a beautiful addition that allows you to enjoy a cup in the middle of a brewing cycle. While testing, I did notice that the carafe retained less heat than I would have liked, and the lack of an indicator for when brewing is complete can be an inconvenience.
However, compared to the Krups and the Capresso, the Cuisinart stands out for its design and Brew Pause feature, even though it has a shorter auto shutoff time. This is an excellent choice for those who prioritize design and love hot coffee.
Stepping into the world of Mixpresso, their 5-Cup Drip Coffee Maker stands tall in the compact coffee brewing market.
Designed for simplicity and efficiency, this brewer impresses with its straightforward operation. Its key features include a permanent filter for convenience and sustainability and a transparent water window – a subtle yet helpful detail I appreciated during testing.
This machine offers an edge over others with its Keep Hot Carafe Plate, ensuring your brewed coffee stays warm for a reasonable period. On the flip side, the absence of an automatic shut-off feature might be a drawback for some. Furthermore, the glass carafe, while sleek, feels a bit thin, and the machine is not compatible with international outlets.
The Mixpresso is a reliable choice for those who value simplicity and a no-fuss brewing experience. However, if you like to enjoy a hot cup of coffee over a leisurely breakfast, this model’s warming plate sets it apart.
The BELLA One Scoop One Cup Coffee Maker is an impressive unit that combines practicality and aesthetics. This compact coffee brewer is designed with simplicity, ensuring a straightforward coffee brewing process each time.
The Adjustable Drip Tray and Permanent Filter feature makes it easy to use and clean, and it’s also dishwasher safe. This means you can enjoy your coffee without worrying about lengthy cleanup times. While testing, I found the fast and convenient brewing a standout feature. In no time, a fresh and delicious cup of coffee was ready for me to enjoy.
Despite the absence of a built-in timer and automatic shut-off feature, the coffee maker’s other benefits, such as its suitability for different cup sizes and stylish design, make it a compelling choice.
The BELLA One Scoop One Cup is perfect for those who value speed, convenience, and a smooth brewing process. In addition, it’s excellent for those who live alone or want a fresh, personalized cup every time.
Last but not least is the Gevi 4-Cup Coffee Maker, a sleek addition to any kitchen with its modern aesthetics. This machine won me over with its one-touch brewing and swing-out design, which allows easy access to the brew basket.
While the Gevi coffee maker’s 4-cup capacity is more suited to individual users or small households, it boasts an auto-shutoff feature for safety and energy efficiency – a feature I truly appreciated during testing. However, be aware that if you fill the water reservoir to the maximum, it might overflow.
Compared to other coffee makers in this review, the Gevi model stands out with its automatic shut-off feature and sleek design. It’s ideal for those who appreciate aesthetics and functionality in their coffee brewing experience.
BLACK+DECKER delivers reliable performance with its 5-Cup Coffeemaker. This compact yet efficient brewer fits well in small kitchens without compromising features. With its one-touch operation, coffee brewing is straightforward, freeing you up to tackle your morning routine.
The Duralife Glass Carafe and Keep Hot Carafe Plate are standout features here, ensuring your brew stays warm and ready for enjoyment. The carafe’s sturdy handle is a thoughtful addition, lending a sense of durability. However, slight inconveniences include the lack of an automatic shut-off function and the shorter power cord.
While testing, I found this small coffee maker easy to clean, thanks to the removable filter basket, marking another point in its favor. The BLACK+DECKER Coffee Maker is an excellent option for those who value simplicity, compact design, and the reputation of a trusted brand.
It stands shoulder to shoulder with other models in terms of performance, but the sturdy carafe handle gives it an edge for daily, hands-on use.
Lastly, we have Mr. Coffee’s 5-Cup Mini Brew Switch Coffee Maker is a gem in the world of compact brewers. This efficient machine delivers excellent brew quality, and the simplicity of its design is something I thoroughly enjoyed during my testing.
The Easy-to-view water window and compact size make it a superb choice for small kitchens. The auto pause feature, which allows you to grab a cup mid-brew, is a significant plus, especially for impatient coffee lovers like me.
Although the lid opens from the side, which might not be suitable for left-handed users, and the glass carafe could be sturdier, this machine’s overall convenience and performance outweigh these minor issues.
Mr. Coffee’s Mini Brew is ideal for those who prioritize efficiency, ease of use, and that all-important first cup of the day.
A Comprehensive Buying Guide for Best Small Coffee Makers
Purchasing a small drip coffee maker is a significant decision for any coffee lover. With numerous options available, making an informed decision that best suits your needs is crucial.
In addition, a good coffee maker should fit your space and consistently produce an excellent cup of coffee, be user-friendly, and match your budget. Below, we’ll delve into more detail on what to consider when buying a smaller coffee and espresso maker.
Size and Space Requirements
One of the most appealing aspects of a small drip coffee maker is its compact size. These machines are perfect for those with smaller kitchens, those wanting to reduce countertop clutter, or anyone needing a compact coffee maker for their office desk. When considering a coffee maker:
- It’s crucial to examine the specific dimensions of the product. Look at its width, depth, and height to ensure it comfortably fits your desired location.
- Consider your kitchen’s layout, particularly how much counter space you have and how close the machine will be to a power outlet. There might be better choices than a small coffee maker if you’d have to unplug it and store it away after each use.
- Some models come with attachable stands or platforms to help them fit better in tight spaces. If you think this may be helpful, look for one of these options before making your purchase.
- Additionally, consider the water reservoir’s capacity and how often it will need to be refilled. The smaller the tank size, the more frequently it will need to be refilled.
Capacity is a crucial consideration and depends on your coffee-drinking habits. The right coffee maker should match your consumption pattern:
- Some coffee makers are designed for single servings, ideal for those living alone or those who prefer their coffee fresh every time.
- Other machines can brew several cups at a time, which might be better suited for households with multiple coffee drinkers or when you have guests over.
- Lastly, choose a carafe-style coffee maker if you want to make a large pot of coffee at once. This is best for those who must serve multiple cups of joe in one go.
Ease of Use
Convenience is a significant factor in choosing a coffee maker. A machine that’s easy to use can streamline your morning routine:
- Consider a coffee maker with a programmable timer. This feature can be a game-changer, allowing you to wake up to freshly brewed coffee.
- Some models have an auto-pause function, which lets you pour a cup mid-brew without creating a mess. This can be a lifesaver if you’re in a hurry.
- Look for a machine with hot plates that keep the coffee at just the right temperature and shut off after a certain amount of time. This will help you avoid burning the brew, which can make it taste bitter.
Quality of Brew
The quality of the brew should never be compromised, regardless of the size of the coffee maker. Here’s what you should consider:
- A critical factor is the coffee maker’s brewing temperature. The optimal range is between 195°F to 205°F. Anything lower can lead to under-extraction and a weak brew, while higher temperatures can over-extract and cause bitterness.
- The type of filter used can also affect the flavor. Permanent filters can save money in the long run, and they can have a significant impact on the taste of your coffee. Also, note that paper filters can absorb some of the flavors, so you may want to experiment with different types.
- Using fresh, high-quality coffee grounds for the best flavors and aromas is also important. Pre-ground coffee is usually less flavorful than freshly ground varieties, as the flavors can quickly dissipate over time.
Maintenance and Cleaning
Regular maintenance and cleaning are essential for the longevity of your coffee maker. Unfortunately, they can also affect the taste of your coffee:
- Coffee makers with removable components, such as the carafe and filter basket, are generally easier to clean.
- Look for models with dishwasher-safe parts for a fuss-free cleaning experience.
- Descaling your machine once every few months helps to keep it in top condition and prevents unwanted flavors from tainting the coffee.
- Be sure to refer to the manual for instructions on descaling and cleaning your specific model. This will help ensure that you’re doing it correctly and getting the best results.
Price and Value
The best small coffee maker for you should provide excellent value for the price. There’s a wide range of prices for coffee makers, so consider the following:
- High-end models often come with additional features like programmable settings, built-in grinders, or thermal carafes, which keep coffee hot for longer without a heating plate.
- More affordable models may have fewer features but can still brew great coffee. These are ideal if you’re on a budget or just starting to explore home brewing.
- Quality matters. Ultimately, your coffee maker should be able to deliver the flavor and aroma you expect from each cup of coffee. Knowing what features are essential and what price range works best for your budget will help narrow your search.
In conclusion, purchasing the best small drip coffee machine requires careful thought and consideration. With this comprehensive guide, you’re now well-equipped to make an informed decision.
Navigating the vast array of small drip coffee makers, we’ve tested and analyzed top-rated models for every coffee enthusiast. Each excels in its way, catering to varied brewing styles and preferences.
However, the Krups Simply Brew Stainless Steel steals the spotlight. Its compact design, efficient performance, and thoughtful features, like the permanent filter and included travel tumbler, make it an all-around winner.
Equipped with our comprehensive reviews and expert buying guide, you’re ready to choose the ideal small drip coffee maker. Head to Amazon or your preferred online retailer to purchase and elevate your daily coffee ritual. Happy brewing!
What is the best small drip coffee maker on the market?
After thorough testing and reviews, we found the Krups Simply Brew Stainless Steel Single Serve Drip Coffee Maker to be the best overall. It offers a compact design, efficient performance, and the convenience of a permanent filter. The included stainless-steel travel tumbler is an added bonus.
Are small drip coffee makers as good as larger ones?
Yes, small drip coffee machines can produce coffee that’s just as delicious as their larger counterparts. The key difference is the quantity of coffee they can make at once. Small coffee makers are perfect for individuals or small families with limited counter space.
What features should I look for in a small drip coffee maker?
Key features to look for include a compact design, ease of use, durability, and cleaning ease. Additional features like programmability, permanent filters, and additional accessories like a travel tumbler can enhance your coffee-making experience.
Can I use ground coffee in a small drip coffee maker?
Absolutely; all the small drip coffee makers reviewed here can brew using ground coffee. The choice between ground coffee or pods depends on your personal preference and the specific machine’s capabilities.
How do I clean a small drip coffee maker?
Most small drip coffee makers can be cleaned by running a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water through the machine, followed by two cycles of clean water. Check the manufacturer’s instructions for specific details, as some components may be dishwasher safe.